Canada is known for its extensive array of universities for both domestic and international students. The education system that Canadian universities offer is incomparable, thus attracting millions of international students yearly. Canadian universities are listed at the top 10 in the world for MBA programs, according to Erudera.
The benefits of getting an MBA degree are endless, starting with the requisites that will be rewarded in the workplace to continue with the global recognition of MBA graduates. To be eligible for admission for an MBA, most universities in Canada require GMAT scores. However, it is possible for a waiver depending on the university’s criteria and the student’s qualifications.
The GMAT is designed to test students’ analytical, quantitative, writing, and communication skills. Although the GRE is also required for graduate programs, the GMAT helps business schools to choose the most qualified candidates according to their results.
In this article, you will learn about the possibilities of doing an MBA without the GMAT, universities that offer a waiver, and a guide on applying for an MBA program without the GMAT.
Can I Do an MBA in Canada Without GMAT?
Yes, students who want to apply for a Master of Business Administration in Canada can get admitted without GMAT scores. However, this option applies to those with other qualifications that show outstanding academic and professional achievement, thus exceeding the need for the GMAT. Alternatively, some universities may require GRE scores or other entrance exams instead of the GMAT.
To be eligible for a GMAT waiver, applicants must meet other admission requirements for an MBA in Canada. The criteria for enrollment are further elaborated throughout the article; as a detailed guide on the eligibility, application procedure, and other important information.
Some of the main admission requirements for applying without a GMAT include:
- GRE scores.
- IELTS/TOEFL scores (mainly for international students).
- A GPA of higher than 3.0 (undergraduate degree or potential postgraduate degrees).
- A minimum of two years of work experience (depending on the bachelor’s degree duration).
- Two or more letters of recommendation.
- A resume of your entire academic and professional experience (including paid or unpaid internships).
General MBA Admission Requirements in Canada
One of the main requirements for an MBA in Canada is the GMAT. Considering it is an entrance exam that only business schools ask for, most universities that offer MBA claim that the GMAT is a true reflection of an applicant’s qualification. Universities that offer GMAT waivers generally ask for the GRE as a replacement for admission.
The lowest GMAT score required and accepted by MBA schools in Canada ranges from 500 up to 600. The average GMAT score required, however, is around 550. Some of Canada’s most prestigious business schools require higher GMAT scores to admit only the best candidates.
International students usually tend to apply as early as possible, and their application procedure is generally longer and more complicated than the residential application. Besides the GMAT/GRE, international students must also prove language proficiency if English is not their first language.
The main requirements for an MBA in Canada are usually the same for both international students and Canadian citizens. Although the MBA degree is one of the most prestigious and challenging to enroll in, Canadian universities do not ask for any additional requirements.
Some of the most common requirements for an MBA in Canada include:
- Entrance exams (GMAT, GRE, and others, depending on the university).
- Prior work experience.
- A four-year undergraduate degree.
Here is the MBA admission process in Canada for international students and Canadian citizens:
- Bachelor’s degree. Applicants must submit proof of an undergraduate degree in a related or different field, depending on the university’s specific requirements. The previously earned degree must be from a recognized university.
- Work experience. Most Canadian MBA schools ask for at least two years of prior work experience in the business field. This requirement is included in the applicant’s resume. The CV must reflect the background experience of the candidate.
- GMAT scores. Most Canadian universities require this entrance exam. Considering the competitiveness of the MBA candidates, it is vital to get a high score. The average score of the candidates is 550-600.
- TOEFL/IELTS. International students whose first language is NOT English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to prove language proficiency. Some universities may require different exam scores, depending on their application procedures. The average admission score for TOEFL is a minimum of 100, with 20 scores for each section. At the same time, the average IELTS score for an MBA ranges from 6.5 – 7.0 with a minimum of 6.0 for each section.
Other documents to attach to your MBA application:
- Academic transcripts; a GPA of at least 3.0. (Translate if not in English).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
- Statement of purpose.
- Financial statement.
- Student visa (if applicable).
Some MBA programs may require applicants to sit for an admissions interview as the last step of their application. The interview is usually conducted to get to know the candidate’s career goals.
Top Universities in Canada for MBA Without GMAT
The Masters of Business Administration is considered a big deal in Canada, where the business world is highly competitive and rewarding. Canada’s job industry for MBA graduates is a place full of opportunities considering the superb management of this country’s economy. Although the GMAT is necessary, numerous Canadian universities offer students the possibility to get admission without it.
Here are some of the best universities in Canada that offer MBA without the GMAT requirement:
Schulich School of Business
Offered by York University, the Schulich School of Business is located in Toronto, at two different campuses. Whether the students choose the full-time or part-time study mode, it is possible to move from one campus to another: Keele and downtown Toronto. To get admitted for this MBA program, applicants must have:
- An undergraduate degree.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) instead of GMAT scores.
- A minimum of two-year experiences after graduation.
- English language proficiency.
- Two essays.
- Two recommendation letters.
- Academic transcripts (copies).
Smith School of Business
The Smith School of Business offers an MBA program as part of Queen’s University. Applicants can use the option of getting trained through the pre-MBA, which introduces students to the fundamentals of business. GMAT or GRE scores are required for admissions; however, applicants who show exceptional qualifications and academic excellence can be considered for enrollment without a GMAT/GRE.
To prove English language proficiency for the Smith School of Business, students must choose to submit scores of either TOEFL or IELTS, depending on their preferences.
Ivey Business School
Part of the Western University in Canada, Ivey Business School, Part of the Western University is known for its distinguished teaching methods. Aside from lectures and passive learning, students become part of a work-like environment by attending training sessions throughout the academic year. Regularly, the Ivey Business School would require students to undertake a GMAT or GRE as an essential part of admissions. However, there is a possibility of a GMAT waiver if students have received more than 160 scores in the LSAT. Another GMAT waiver option is given to applicants who have passed the three levels of the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) exam.
Lazaridis School of Business and Economics
At Wilfrid Laurier University, the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics welcomes applicants interested in getting an MBA in one of the most competitive institutions in Canada. As the first school in the country offering a one-year full-time Master in Business Administration, Laurier offers numerous specializations to choose from. Some of the most popular are Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Financial Management, etc.
Admission requirements include the usual four-year degree, preferably related to business and economics. The university can waive the GMAT requirement if the applicant gets the equivalent of 550 GMAT scores converted to the GRE format. Additionally, this MBA program also accepts CFA level 1 scores.
Thompson Rivers University
Focused on global economic development, the Thompson Rivers University invites students to advance their professional careers to get an MBA in-campus or online. This MBA program is usually offered in a two-year format. However, students who have previously earned a degree in business administration and work experience in the field can graduate within a year.
Thompson Rivers University provides students with an easy application process, where GMAT scores are not required. Students can get admission with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and prove language proficiency with an IELTS score of no less than 6.5.
New York Institute of Technology (NYIT)
Located in Vancouver, the NYIT helps students use their MBA degrees to connect with successful businesses worldwide. Students can benefit from the most well-known professors who establish the connections between New York and Vancouver corporations. The MBA degree is offered in two departments: Finance and Management.
To get admitted, students must possess an undergraduate degree and have a GPA of at least 3.0. The GMAT scores are not a compulsory requirement, but with a low GPA, the GMAT can increase the chances of admission.
DeGroote Business School
DeGroote Business School is considered one of the best business schools in Canada and is part of the many departments that McMaster University offers. During and after completing the two-year MBA program, students are encouraged to apply to internships to kick-start their careers in the right direction. The summer internships are not considered obligatory and can last up to four months in total.
Students who wish to enroll in the full-time MBA program must submit GMAT or GRE scores. The only GMAT waiver case applies to the applicants of the Accelerated MBA program, where students can get admitted by exceeding the minimum GPA requirement.
Students with a four-year bachelor’s degree in fields related to business management should find the Business Administration program (MBA) at Lakehead University as the ideal postgraduate program to advance professionally. Lakehead offers two MBA programs: MBA and MBA with Advanced Studies in Management. The first one takes one whole year to complete, whereas the second option lasts longer – 16 months.
Admission requirements include either GMAT or GRE scores. An exception to this requirement is the Business Skills Development Program, where students can apply without GMAT or GRE.
Vancouver Island University
At Vancouver Island University, the MBA program invites students to learn how to work under pressure and connect with people worldwide. The business world is full of opportunities, and the MBA program provides students with the needed skills to join the business world and make connections.
It takes less than two years to complete the degree with many courses to choose from, plus a four-month summer internship as part of the curriculum. Below you can see some of the main courses offered at this university.
Note: No GMAT exam is required for admission to this program.
University Canada West
The Master of Business Administration degree provided by the University Canada West focuses on preparing students with the digital skills that are necessary to stay up to date with the latest technology developments. The teaching methods are based on the newest trends, by initiating group work, workshops and seminars, and class discussions. Students are allowed to choose between online or on-campus learning.
To get admitted, students must submit proof of language proficiency through one of the following:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): A minimum score of 6.0.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
- PTE (The Pearson Test of English Academic).
Other requirements for admission include GRE or GMAT scores and a GPA (Grade Point Average) of at least 3.00.
The University of Northern British Columbia
The University of Northern British Columbia provides students with the flexibility of completing their MBA and attending other matters simultaneously. Because classes are held only once a month, students can use that time to work or study through self-learning methods. This MBA program is offered at the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) in Prince George or Langara College in Vancouver.
The admission requirements include a GPA of at least 3.00, GRE, and one of the following language proficiency certificates:
- TOEFL: a minimum score of 90 (internet-based test).
- IELTS: a minimum score of 6.5.
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment): a minimum score of 60.
- CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program).
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): a minimum score of 85.
- PTE: a minimum score of 60.
Top Universities for MBA in Canada for International Students Without GMAT
Getting an MBA in Canada as an international student is much easier than anywhere in the world. The application procedure, along with the visa application, does not require a lot of work. Aside from what was already mentioned, Canadian MBA schools are also cheaper and more affordable than, for example, the neighboring countries such as the US. Last but not least, the Canadian government welcomes international students to work immediately after graduation without any additional requirements or conditions.
Here are some of the best universities that offer MBA without GMAT for international students:
Whitman School of Business
Why is it good for international students: Online MBA program available.
Whitman School of Business has partnerships with world-renowned companies, such as Tesla, Hueber Breuer, and Discover, through which it equips students with the skills necessary to solve last-minute problems in the real business world. The Whitman School offers several specialization options, including Accounting, Business Analytics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Marketing, Management, Real Estate, and Supply Chain Management.
Note: Students can choose electives from either the Whitman School or other Syracuse schools available for exchange courses.
MBA program without GMAT at Whitman School of Business:
- Duration: The full-time MBA program at Whitman School of Business lasts up to two years in total. Students have to receive 36 credits on compulsory courses, plus 18 elective credits. The online Syracuse MBA program takes less than 24 months to complete.
- Type: Whitman School of Business invites students to choose between two types of the MBA program. Full-time, online MBA, and the joint dual degree programs: B.M./MBA, Music Industry, JD/MBA, Law, and the H. John Riley Dual Engineering/MBA Program.
- Tuition fees: The total tuition cost for international students is approximately $55,900 for the entire academic year. If you include other expenses such as housing, personal expenses, transportation, health insurance, and program fees, the average cost will be $8,880 for one year.
- Admissions: The GMAT scores are prefered to attach with your other documents; however, it is not obligatory. Neither is the work experience, but it is recommended for students who have a low GPA and want to increase their chances of admission. International students must show proof of English language proficiency by submitting scores of TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants can also submit Duolingo scores as a form of an English proficiency exam.
New York Institute of Technology
Why is it good for international students: Classroom diversity.
At the New York Institute of Technology, the academic staff and the business professionals focus on preparing students for a global business environment where learning by experience is the ultimate goal. The NYIT MBA program in Vancouver, Canada, offers international students scholarship opportunities based on academic performance.
MBA program without GMAT at New York Institute of Technology:
- Duration: Both MBA departments: MBA in Management and MBA in Finance take about 24 months in total to complete. The NYIT offers a flexible academic calendar for MBA students; however, the regular time it takes students to graduate is 1.5 to 2 years.
- Type: As mentioned above, the New York Institute of Technology in Vancouver offers two MBA programs: MBA in Management and MBA in Finance. Both programs enlist students to attend full-time to get full credits by the time of graduation.
- Tuition fees: The tuition fees per student for the MBA program vary depending on the credits required to graduate. The minimum tuition fee per credit is $31,920, and it can reach up to $59,325.
- Admissions: International students must apply for a student visa after receiving their acceptance letter. Secondly, it is crucial to include health insurance in the list of application documents, which covers about four months (the first semester) and costs about $150. The GMAT is dismissed for students with a GPA higher than 3.0. Lastly, students must prove English language proficiency.
Ivey Business School
Why is it good for international students: Work opportunities in Canada after graduation.
The Ivey Business School is continuously looking for ambitious students from all over the world who wish to pursue their business careers in one of the best MBA programs in Canada. With an MBA degree at Ivey Business, alumni can join the network of people in business in some of the most prestigious companies and communities of graduates in Canada.
MBA program without GMAT at Ivey Business School:
- Duration: Regularly, the program lasts for one year, and the academic year starts in March. However, Ivey Business offers extra classes in February for candidates who need more preparation before starting their MBA.
- Type: Ivey Business School contains four kinds of MBA. The full-time regular MBA, the executive MBA, the accelerated MBA, and MBA Direct for HBAs (Honours Business Administration).
- Tuition fees: International students pay an amount of $120,500 for the entire academic year. Other estimated costs for international students include Western Student Organization Fees, Western Student Ancillary Fees, Ivey Course Material Fees, and lastly, the health insurance, adding up to approximately $5,320.
- Admissions: The Ivey Business School requires GRE scores for applicants without the GMAT. A minimum of two-year work experience is required for entry, preferably full-time. To prove English proficiency, applicants must submit evidence of either TOEFL or IELTS scores. GMAT waiver also applies to students who score more than 160 in their LSATs.
University Canada West (UCW)
Why is it good for international students: English is the only language of instruction.
International students at the University Canada West tend to feel comfortable while joining discussions with students from other countries. The MBA program provides scholars with analytical, problem-solving qualifications and guides them on improving their professional skills. The MBA team at UCW focuses on delivering critical thinking-based lectures and encourages class participation by initiating case studies and sharing experiences.
MBA program without GMAT at University Canada West (UCW):
- Duration: The MBA program at UCW takes two years to complete. Four enrollment terms are available for MBA candidates: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer. The UCW offers preparation courses before the academic year starts.
- Type: The MBA degree at UCW is delivered in two modes: in-campus and online learning. The online MBA program also lasts for two years in total. After graduating with either of these learning types, students can receive the following certificates: AMA (American Marketing Association), DMP (Digital Marketing Professional), CMC (Certified Management Consultant).
- Tuition fees: The UCW MBA program requires tuition fees paid according to the number of courses students are enrolled in. The cost per course is approximately $2,340 for international students. In comparison, the total tuition fees equal an average sum of $17,550 for the entire program (two years).
- Admissions: International students whose first language is not English and who have not graduated from an English-taught university must submit proof of language proficiency. Such evidence includes TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or PTE as authorized language exams. Out of 4.33 in total, a GPA of 3.0 is required for admission.
Lastly, in lieu of GMAT scores, applicants can submit GRE scores, have a Bachelor’s degree in business administration, a Canadian professional title or international equivalent, or a minimum of three years of work experience.
Why is it good for international students: International scholarships available.
At HEC Montreal, students from different parts of the world come together to exchange professional business ideas. HEC Montreal is an ideal study destination for MBA candidates who want to expand their network and learn about a new culture at the same time. A plus is getting to perfect your French language skills, which is a significant advantage for the business world in Montreal in order to connect with powerful companies.
MBA program without GMAT at HEC Montréal:
- Duration: The MBA in HEC Montreal is a one-year program with more than five core courses and numerous electives to choose from. Students choose the elective courses depending on the career they want to pursue after graduating with an MBA. Usually, the program begins in September, with no other optional term available.
- Type: Aside from the regular MBA program, HEC Montreal offers the MBA+ which includes additional French. This program is best for students interested in working in Montreal after graduation since French is widely spoken.
- Tuition fees: The average tuition fee for international students is approximately $54,000. This amount includes all possible expenses for the entire program (one academic year). International scholarships are awarded to students that hold an excellent academic record.
- Admissions: Applicants can decide between four application dates that HEC Montreal provides throughout the year: November, January, March, and May. International students must prove language proficiency by completing a previous education with English as a language of instruction. The same applies to students who choose French as the language of instruction.
Secondly, students must have at least three years of work experience and pass the GRE or TAGE MAGE as alternatives for the GMAT.
Alberta School of Business
Why is it good for international students: Work-permit available while studying.
The Alberta School of Business MBA has shown a high percentage of employment after only three months of graduating. International students have the opportunity to get a summer internship during their studies. During the internship, students gain valuable contacts and get to enjoy Canada as well. The Alberta MBA also offers students the chance to join their exchange programs, considering the global partnerships with over 70 countries.
- Duration: The duration of the Alberta full-time MBA program is two years. The first year focuses mainly on the core courses of fundamental business and the ethical and analytical aspects of the field. By the second year, the candidates must participate in case studies and choose the electives based on their career goals.
- Type: The Alberta School of Business offers dual MBA programs, aside from the main full-time MBA program. Such programs are MD/MBA, MBA/JD, MBA/PharmD, MBA/MLIS, MBA/MEng, MBA/MAg, MBA/Master of Forestry, MBA/MScPT, MBA/MScOT.
- Tuition fees: The total program fees for international students are around $60,000 per academic year. They offer up to $15,000 as entrance awards for students with exceptional applications, based only on MBA admissions criteria. Furthermore, the Alberta MBA also offers merit-based scholarships and financial aid for those who prove monetary needs.
- Admissions: Applicants are required to submit proof of at least two years prior work experience and take the GRE in lieu of the GMAT. Applicants should have an average GPA of 3.0 to 4.0 achieved at their undergraduate degree to get admitted. Non-native English speakers must submit proof of English language proficiency through TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or CAEL. Lastly, applicants must attach two letters of reference and a statement letter to describe the reason behind their application.
MBA Without GMAT in Canada for Canadian Citizens
Most universities in Canada that offer MBA programs can waive the GMAT if the applicant’s qualifications suffice. Some universities’ requirements differ for international students and Canadian citizens. However, MBA programs that do not require the GMAT for international students may also apply the same waiver for Canadian students.
It is a known fact that most universities worldwide have a more extensive list of requirements for international students and the tuition fees are generally higher. There is a difference in qualifications between international and domestic students, the factors that impact this phenomenon are listed below.
- International students usually need a student visa to study abroad.
- International students need to prove language proficiency if non-native speakers.
- International students must translate their academic transcripts into the grading system of the university they are applying to.
Here is a list of some of the best MBA schools that do not require GMAT for Canadian citizens:
- Smith School of Business.
The GMAT requirement at the Smith School of Business at Queen’s University is waived for candidates who register for only one type of MBA program: Accelerated MBA for Business Graduates. Students with a long list of qualifications, including a tremendous academic record and prior work experience may also be exempt from the GMAT requirement.
- Schulich School of Business
Canadian citizens who have already received a degree at Schulich can apply for the Schulich MBA without submitting GMAT scores. This waiver also applies to those who have received a GPA of B+ or higher at the same school.
- Thompson Rivers University Business and Economics
Neither international students nor Canadian citizens must submit GMAT scores at Thompson Rivers University, the School of Business and Economics. However, it is always advisable to undertake the GMAT for those applicants who want to increase their chances of admission.
- Odette School of Business
The Odette School of Business at the University of Windsor waives the GMAT requirement equally for international students and Canadian citizens. This waiver applies only to those students who have passed either CPA (Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada) or the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst).
MBA Tuition Fees
The tuition fees for an MBA in Canada vary depending on the applicant’s country of origin. International students are usually required to pay a higher tuition fee compared to Canadian citizens’ tuition fees. The average tuition fees for an MBA in Canada for Canadian students range from $20,600 to $22,200.
Here is a list of the annual tuition fees of MBAs in Canada for Canadian students:
|University||Low Tuition Fee||High Tuition Fee||Tuition Fee|
|Cape Breton University||✓||$18,080|
|Dalhousie University||✓||$6,700 – $10,500|
|Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University||✓||$6,400 – $12,380|
|John Molson School of Business at Concordia University||✓||$5,230 – $10,420|
|HEC Montreal||✓||$4,300 – 10,500|
|Kenneth Levene Graduate School of Business at University of Regina||✓||$10,000 – $12,000|
|Lakehead University||✓||$8,500 – $11,500|
|College of Management and Economics at Guelph University||✓||$40,600|
|Haskayne School of Business at University of Calgary||✓||$30,000|
|Joseph L. Rotman School of Business at University of Toronto||✓||$71,900|
|Royal Roads University||✓||$45,290|
|Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario||✓||$83,250|
Cheap MBA in Canada Without GMAT
Compared to the United States, universities in Canada that offer Master of Business Administration programs are much more affordable. The majority of Canadian students have usually gone to continue their studies in the US, believing that they promote better teaching and learning methods.
However, Canadian universities have been going up on the international rankings for universities that offer MBA programs. Considering the MBA is among the most prestigious degrees, it can cost more depending on the university. Other than the reasonable tuition fees, these universities produce graduates that make up more than 50% of the Canadian entrepreneurs.
Here are some universities that offer low tuition fees for MBA candidates without GMAT:
|University||Tuition Cost for International Students||Tuition Cost for Domestic Students|
|Lazaridis School of Business and Economics||$16,579 (per semester)||$9,930 (per semester)|
|Thompson Rivers University||$14,400 (per year)||$8,430 (per year)|
|Lakehead University||$7,420 (per semester)||$3,160 (per semester)|
|New York Institute of Technology (NYIT)||$31,900 (per semester)||$31,900 (per semester)|
|DeGroote Business School||$91,500 (full program)||$44,000 (full program)|
|Schulich Business School||$26,730 (per semester)||$17,980 (per semester)|
Scholarships available at some of the universities listed above:
- Schulich Business School
- The Goldberg Leadership Award of Excellence
- Allen T. Lambert Scholarship
- Max Wolfe Memorial Scholarship
- Frederick G. Gardiner Scholarship
- Lake Ontario Steel Scholarship
- Canadian Association of Women Executives and Entrepreneurs Award
- George Svec, MBA 1969 Scholarship Endowment
- DeGroote Business School
- MBA Admission Awards
- MBA In-course and Entrance Scholarships
- University-wide Scholarships and Bursaries
- Lakehead University
- Graduate Assistantships
- Faculty Research Awards for Graduate Students
- Thompson Rivers University
- KPMG Scholars to Business Scholarship
- TRU School of Business Outstanding International Student Award
- Dallaire Family Award
- Liliana Moldovan Memorial Award
- Smith Chevrolet Cadillac Ltd. Marketing Management Award
- Kamloops/Cariboo CPA Chapter Award
- Chartered Financial Analysts of the OK Award
- Ken Lepin Spirit Award
- Ken Lepin Outstanding Business Student of the Year
- Brendan Shaw MBA Award
- Bruce & Theresa Gysel MBA Scholarship
- Lazaridis School of Business and Economics
- Canadian Hardware & Home Improvement Show MBA Scholarship
- Robert Breadner Entrepreneurial Fund
- Entrance Scholarships
- Gerdau Ameristeel Technology Award
- Howard Teall Award for Student Excellence
- Lazaridis MBA Technology Scholarship
- McNeil Consumer Products Scholarship
- Nissan Canada Award
- Pfizer MBA Award
- Ross & Doris Dixon MBA Scholarship
- Walter & Jean Hachborn Award of Distinction
MBA in Canada Without or Low GMAT
The GMAT score level varies depending on the university, program, and the student’s qualifications when applying. The lowest score allowed is 550; however, most universities that ask for a low GMAT score range from 550 – 600 as the highest score required for admission. If a student gets accepted with low GMAT scores, they might have other excellent qualifications to list at the top of the accepted applicant’s list.
Here are some relevant qualifications that make up for a low GMAT score:
- A high GPA.
- Work experience.
- GRE scores.
- Great recommendation letters.
- Excellent TOEFL/IELTS scores.
- An impressive admission interview.
- Prior extracurricular activities.
- A well-written persuasive essay.
Below is a list of universities that accept a low GMAT score for MBA admissions:
|University||Minimum GMAT Score|
|Rotman School of Management – University of Toronto||550|
|John Molson School of Business – Concordia University||580|
|Desautels Faculty of Management – McGill University||668|
|Beedie School of Business||550|
|Schulich School of Business||550|
|Alberta School of Business||550|
|Goodman School of Business – Brock University||550|
|Cape Breton University||500|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||550|
|University of Manitoba||500|
|University of Saskatchewan||500|
Can I Find an MBA in Canada Without GMAT And Work Experience?
Since some universities waive the GMAT exam for students who have other qualifications, the work experience requirement can also be waived. Listed at the top of the requirements for an MBA in Canada is also the prior work experience of the candidates. Whether the university is asking for GMAT/GRE scores, the work experience evidence is another criterion.
For a university not to ask for work experience nor GMAT scores, the applicant must prove academic excellence, a great GPA, and an undergraduate degree in business-related fields. Although work experience is preferred for higher enrollment chances, it is not always a compulsory requirement for MBA in Canadian universities.
The applicants who cannot submit GMAT scores and have no prior work experience can submit GRE scores. GRE is used in all graduate programs as an entrance exam, except for the MBA. However, many universities accept it as an accredited substitute for the GMAT.
Here are some universities that may not require GMAT scores nor work experience for admission:
|University||GMAT Requirement||Work Experience Requirement|
|Thompson Rivers University||X||X|
|Odette School of Business – The University of Windsor||X||X|
|Cape Breton University||X||X|
|Goodman School of Business – Brock University||X||X|
|Vancouver Island University||X||X|
|University Canada West||X||X|
Universities in Canada Without GMAT and GRE
Both GRE and GMAT are entrance exams included in the list of solid qualifications of MBA applicants. Although some universities may not require them, it is highly recommended to undertake one of these exams for a higher chance of admission to the chosen university.
The main difference is that the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is limited only to MBA applicants. In contrast, the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is usually required for all graduate programs among Canadian universities.
Here are some universities that may require none or one of the entrance exams for admission:
|University||GMAT Requirement||GRE Requirement|
|Beedie School of Business||X||✓|
|Telfer School of Management – University of Ottawa||X||X|
|Ivey Business School – Western University Canada*||X||X|
|Vancouver Island University||X||X|
|Rotman School of Management – University of Toronto*||X||✓|
|Desautels Faculty of Management – McGill University||X||✓|
*Remember: To get a GMAT or a GRE waiver at the universities listed in the table above, you MUST have completed all three levels of CFA (the Chartered Financial Analyst exam) or meet other university-specific requirements.
It is important to know that in the event that the applicant cannot submit either of the entrance exams listed above, the admissions committee will pay attention to the other qualifications. If GMAT/GRE is not available, the applicant must submit proof of prior work experience to increase their chances of admission. A big plus is if the applicant shows excellent academic achievement in their prior education, such as the undergraduate or a postgraduate degree.